Wednesday 12 March 2014

another year, another slice of cake

I don't think I'm a birthday person. They make me squirmy and uncomfortable. But despite all my grumbling, this was SUCH a nice one. IMG_4341
I think I got the best birthday present I could ever have asked for. A road trip across the country with the best person ever. This meant we could pop into Galway, a gorgeous city on the west coast of Ireland, probably one of my favourite places in the whole country.
IMG_4350 IMG_4355
Clearly our main priority in Galway was finding (birthday) cake, so we were in hot pursuit of baked goods when we found found this place.
IMG_4351 IMG_4353
Amazingly, the weather has been absolutely beautiful for the last few days. Last year I spent my birthday curled up inside watching snow fall down so spending this birthday wandering around castle ruins in the sunshine is just way too perfect.
IMG_4357 IMG_4358
This was a birthday that made me feel both sad that I couldn't be close to my friends and family, but so very grateful to receive so much kindness from so far away. Balloons and flowers and chocolate and so much love. I'm not sure why I was being such a birthday scrooge in the first place!
IMG_4347 IMG_4346
And the best part of the whole birthday thing? I got THREE cakes this year. Oh man. Best birthday ever.
IMG_4340

2 comments:

  1. Aren't dainty tea cups the best? I will go out of my way to visit somewhere that serves afternoon tea in old, mismatched sets. And I'm so glad I'm not the only one who finds my own birthday squirmy and uncomfortable! I don't like so much attention channeled towards me.

    Happy belated birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I just think pretty tableware is worthy of ALL the attention, much to the dismay of Boyfriend, who still can't figure out what was wrong with the last place :)

      Thanks Alex - adore your blog!

      Delete